Tuesday, September 30, 2008

(never) a foggy day in london town

Following the very rushed move into my new apartment (thank god!) - et voila!-



I decided I'd had just about enough of Paris for now and jumped aboard the Eurostar to rendez-vous at Hotel Dwyer-Kirkland in London.

This was my inaugural trip to the UK, which ended up being quite sunny and glorious. I think I made poor Jess trot me all over the city just to hear me "ooh" and "ahh" over and over again over the city's charm, peacefulness, and those lovely british accents. Paris is lovely, of course, but there was something wonderfully calming - especially after those first hectic days - being surrounded by anglophones and dear friends.

While it's been said that the British are renowned for their deplorable cuisine, they seem to know how to impress their guests with the most delicious "ethnic" cuisine - isn't all food in a way "ethnic"? oh well - that have passed my lips in a long time. Walking through the most amazing outdoor markets I've ever seen,
Jess and I sampled the most luscious venison burger that was overflowing with a crazy tomato-barbeque sauce and soft-yet-crunchy sauteed onions. Naturally, it was followed up by a large piece of fabulous chocolate brownie ["make bread not war" was this particular patisserie's slogan].

I could continue regaling you with the many fantastic meals that we had, but that will just make everyone hungry. Needless to say, the food ain't bad.

I saw a lot on my grand, 3-day tour of London - I believe my fabulous tour guide had a lot to do with that. But now, I am back to Paris - tying up loose ends and getting ready for classes that will begin in a week.